Sunday, July 4, 2021

Lt. Col. Deuward Sherman Waldrep

My uncle, Deuward Sherman Waldrep was born 3 APR 1906 and died 16 OCT 1983
He was the first born to George Hamilton Waldrep and Carrie Beulah Wilson Waldrep. I have often wondered why his middle name was Sherman. In Georgia most southerners did not hold General Sherman of the Union Army in high regard due to the pain he once inflicted on the region.

After graduating from Georgia Tech where he played some college baseball, he entered the U.S. Army around 1923. He spent a career in the Army and retired as a Lt. Colonel. During WWII, he served as a warden for a POW camp of captured German soldiers in a facility located somewhere in south Georgia. I believe he may of also spent some time in Europe.

There is a lot I don't know about Uncle Deuward. After he retired from the military he bought a farm in Cedartown, Georgia where he spent the rest of his days. He married Lavonia Frances Lee (1904-1998). They had one son, Deuward Sherman Waldrep, Jr., my first cousin,who we called Chip.

I also recall the time Uncle Deuward flipped his tractor over on the farm and was pinned until he got the attention of a farm hand who heard him whistling for help. All of George Waldreps boys learned to whistle loudly in case they needed help. I remember all four of Mama's brothers could whistle extremely loud. I don't think my Mom ever learned that useful skill.

One other childhood memory about Uncle Deuward was that he admired Theodore Roosevelt and the Rough Riders, a U.S. Cavalry unit TR led in the Spanish American War in Cuba.

I was racing my cousin Terry Waldrep one Sunday afternoon along the pasture fence riding my Shetland pony named Dusty wearing no shoes, no shirt and no saddle. Terry was riding a quarter horse with me right at his heels with me showing no fear.

Mama told me later that day that Uncle Deuward told her I looked like a Rough Rider which made me very proud. I was probably 8 or 9 years old.

George Hamilton and Carrie Beulah Waldrep Family

L-R Deuward, J.C., Grandma Beulah, Richard, Ida Lou, Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment